Before Colorado opens the 2012-13 basketball season tonight at the Coors Events Center, let’s look at some interesting preseason hype courtesy of ESPN The Magazine.
The publication ranked all 345 Division I programs. Some, including Buffs fans, might be critical of where their team is slotted in the magazine’s formula, which factored in stats, recruiting evaluations and coaching.
I found it difficult to research and come up with a top 25 for the preseason Associated Press poll. So I respect the fact that someone attempted this.
For what it’s worth, CU came in at No. 66, which was sixth among Pac-12 teams behind UCLA (10), Arizona (14), Stanford (36), Cal (43) and USC (46).
The Trojans? They do have talent, but I disagree with having them in the top 50 of any ranking at this point coming off a six-win season.
I voted the Buffs fourth in the preseason Pac-12 media poll behind Arizona, UCLA and Stanford.
Here’s how the other teams on Tad Boyle’s schedule rank in the ESPN exercise:
5. Kansas (Dec. 8, Lawrence)
21. Baylor (possibly Nov. 16 in Charleston, S.C.)
50. Murray State (possibly Nov. 18 in Charleston, S.C.)
57. Wyoming (Dec. 1, Laramie)
67. Washington (Jan. 16, Seattle)
70. Colorado State (Dec. 5, Boulder)
76. St. John’s (possibly Nov. 18 in Charleston, S.C.)
80. College of Charleston (possibly Nov. 18 in Charleston, S.C.)
81. Washington State (Jan. 19, Pullman)
83. Oregon State (Feb. 10 in Corvallis and March 9 in Boulder)
86. Fresno State (Dec. 12, Fresno)
94. Dayton (next Thursday at Charleston Classic)
99. Oregon (Feb. 7 in Eugene and March 7 in Boulder)
101. Auburn (possibly Nov. 18 in Charleston, S.C.)
130. Arizona State (Jan. 6 in Tempe and Feb. 16 in Boulder)
143. Air Force (Nov. 25, Boulder)
162. Utah (Feb. 2 in Salt Lake City and Feb. 21 in Boulder)
171. Boston College (possibly Nov. 16, Charleston, S.C.)
184. Texas Southern (Nov. 27, Boulder)
269. Wofford (tonight, Boulder)
296. Hartford (Dec. 29, Boulder)
316. Northern Arizona (Dec. 21, Boulder)